Savory muffins, a great meal on the run and go well lunch boxes. Once you master the recipes, you will be able to make savory muffins from whatever you have on hand. Here are some tasty savory muffins that you can prepare for breakfast, as a snack for work or for your children’s lunch box or for a finger-food party.
Corn Flour Muffins
1 cup oil
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup white flour
1.5 cups corn flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 ounces finely chopped cheese
100gr chopped ham
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) and place the muffin cases (if using) in the muffin pan or simply grease your muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl mix the first six ingredients. Then add the cheese and the ham.
2. Spoon the mixture into the muffin caps. Make sure you leave some room to allow the dough to rise while baking.
3. Sprinkle sesame and caraway seeds on top.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the muffins turn golden, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Wait for the muffins to cool for about 10 minutes before taking them out of the muffin cups.
Zucchini and Cheddar Muffins
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 clove minced garlic
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
4 slices of crisp bacon
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF) and prepare the muffin pan.
2. Mix the first four ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix the next five ingredients and stir gently.
4. Combine the dry and wet mixture.
5. Add the cheeses and the crisp and crumbled bacon.
6. Pour the batter in the muffin cups.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Cheese, Bacon and Chives Muffins
2 cups plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps melted butter
1 cup milk
4 slices of crisp and crumbled bacon
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Mix the chives and the melted butter and stir.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and the milk. Then add this mixture to the butter mixture and add the bacon and the cheese. Stir gently.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, the baking powder, the salt and the sugar and stir until combined.
5. Combine the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the greased or lined muffin cups.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.